I'm currently taking a History of Photography class that's for the most part pretty interesting, despite the fact that the professor is super awkward--so awkward that I got the giggles and had to recuperate in the hallway for a good ten minutes--and we saw some amazing crime scene photographs from New York City in the 1930s and 40s. I'll let you see those in a few seconds (assuming time works the the same way for my dear reader(s) as it does for me), but first I want to post a photo I found by a NY "street" photographer of the era, Weegee.

fuck. yeah.

Whoa.
I'm not sure who took the following crime scene photos, it might be Weegee, but I think it was policemen and crime scene investigators. Man, the untrained eye can see some spectacular sights, and these photos are proof...
They don't even look like evidence of murder, they look like art, or theater. Am I a total creep for being entranced by them? While hot on the trail of this genre (my current printmaking assignment theme is sex/death/propaganda, okay?), I found some incredible old mugshots. I actually did a bunch of mugshot prints waaaay back in spring 2009, but they don't hold a candle to these beautiful photographs. Behold.




Fraudsters, for the most part.
Nice stuff. I love looking at this, but for the record, I always hope to be separated from these people b at least a lens-worth.




Whyyy haven't we talked about these yet!? You've totally been holding out on me. This shit is, like, super inspirational creative-wise. Ahh!!!
ReplyDelete